Monday, September 1, 2008

Building a community network

Here's a discussion request mentioned on a blog from a business contact of mine;

Sunday the 31.of Augustus 2008,

QUOTE;
Building a community network
Over the last couple of days I had a discussion per e-mail over the fact that I do not accept people to be a contact if they hide their contacts for me. We respect each others opinions on this but I did want to take the time to write about this.

The facts. I am on Linkedin and have a growing number of business contacts. Partly business partners and partly people I know from the open source community. In my opinion people building a network should consider to share the people they know. It's part of the idea of building a social or business network.

I took a closer look at my list and found that some people have adjusted their setting and are not showing contact anymore. This worries me. I even wonder if these people should use business networks like Linkedin.

Maybe some of you can start a discussion on this and let me know where I can read it?

Geplaatst door Hans W... op zondag, augustus 31, 2008


My consideration is;
That even when you would personally know all the people within your network on for example on LinkedIn, there would be people within your network not willing to be noticed by all of your other/new connections.

Is it possible to personally know all of your contacts? In several occasions I was asked to introduce a person(A) via a person I knew(B), to one of my connections(C) on LinkedIn. The person(C) to which I introduced the original person(A) to, could choose to accept or not. If he would accept the invitation it would be a person(A) he wouldn't know personally. As a result this person(A) who was introduced in this new network of people would be capable to see all of the connections from the other one(C).

Would all of the connections from person (C) like this? To my experience often they don't.

As a result I used the possibility within my personal settings to close viewability on beforehand to share all of my contacts. My choice is to open my contacts details to people on request....Meaning if someone within my network of 870 people would like to get in contact with people with certain skills or within certain industries, countries, regions, etc...the are free to ask me, in order for me to find the ideal contacts on request.

Feel free to react in this.....we will appreciate all reactions.

Many thanks in advance and have a nice day.

No comments: